Air compressors are used for a broad range of applications in the mining industry, providing a reliable source of power ideally suited for the extended use, harsh environments and safety requirements needed for successful operation in this area. A vast amount of equipment and processes are necessary in mining and extraction operations, and they would not be nearly as efficient — and, in some cases, would not be possible — without a steady and reliable source of compressed air.
Mining operations fulfill a broad cross-section of industrial needs, covering coal, oil or natural gas, to name a few. These raw materials are then used in the energy, chemical and petrochemical fields — among others — making consistent, efficient mining processes a necessity to meet deadlines and capacity needs.
With the right air compressor, mining processes can operate at higher quality, more efficiently and more safely — making a positive impact on your productivity and bottom line.
Below, learn why choosing the right mining compressor partner is so critical for your operations, and discover the full range of benefits you can realize.
Compressor Uses in the Mining Industry
Compressor products have a broad range of uses focused on the mining industry. The applications listed below represent some of the most common uses that you will find, and the versatility of air compressors means that applications can extend far beyond these.
Air compressor mining uses include:
- Pneumatic tools
- Ventilation systems
- Gas compression for extraction and delivery
- Material conveyors
- Drilling and blasting equipment
- Piling equipment
Rotary air compressors are an ideal choice for these applications, offering numerous benefits over other types of compressors. In a rotary air compressor used for mining, a series or configuration of rotors turn to compress air or other material that is drawn through an intake, which is then output at high pressure.
Rotary air compressor benefits include:
- Reliability: Uptime is a critical concern in the mining industry, with inefficient or erratic operation of equipment leading to maintenance requirements, production delays, a reduction in quality and potential danger to personnel. Rotary air compressors are built for constant duty and minimal maintenance.
- Efficiency: Engineered to operate as simply as possible, with a minimum of components and energy requirements, rotary air compressors are among the most efficient power sources you can choose.
- Versatility: Compressors in the mining industry can be used for a broad range of applications, many of which have been described above.
- Safety: Mining compressors are optimal for operation in the confined spaces of mining sites, and provide exemplary safety for workers.
Factors in Selecting the Best Air Compressor for Mining
When choosing the right air compressor for your mining operations, there are numerous factors to consider. Taking care in these decisions can yield a vast reduction in costs, benefits in efficiency and productivity, safety benefits, and improved quality.
These factors include:
- Capacity required: Air compressor capacity is typically measured in CFM, which is the amount of air (measured in cubic feet) that the compressor can provide per minute. Determine how much capacity will be required to operate your equipment and processes, so that you neither over-engineer the system nor purchase a compressor that is not suitable for the task at hand.
- Pressure: In addition to capacity, it is important to understand the pressure required to power your equipment and processes. While rotary compressors are designed for peak efficiency and minimal pressure drop, as systems expand, pressure loss can occur. Be sure to take the practical realities of your compressor system into consideration as you make your choice.
- Materials in use: Beyond air compressors to power equipment, mining compressors may be used for gas extraction and other materials. Be sure to factor in all potential uses.
- Compressor location: Mining applications often require compressors that can be moved and maneuvered into tight spaces. Configurations such as tank-mounted compressors provide versatile, mobile operation suitable for compact areas.
Kaishan has a wide range of capabilities and options to provide the right air compressor for you. We offer clean and steady pressure delivery, customizable systems to meet your demands, streamlined design for minimal maintenance, and more.
To learn more about how we can help fulfill your mining operations, contact us today.