The Rotary Screw Package Design Engineer designs and develops compressor packages and cost competitive air compressor systems excluding the compressor element (AirEnd).
Nature & Scope:
Within the limits of Company policy, and authority delegated by the Engineering Manager, Rotary Products and Systems Engineering, the Design Engineer, designs and develops innovative and cost competitive rotary compressor units and performs any other necessary product design or support functions as directed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design the screw compressor system and system components, such as the inlet filter, oil separator, oil cooler, oil filter, after-cooler, air or gas piping system, oil piping system and related pneumatic and fluid dynamic controls etc. This design shall include the related heat balance analysis, fluid dynamic analysis, strength analysis and any other necessary analyses.
- Complete the P&ID or flow schematic drawings for any compressor packages. The flow schematic drawing shall be supported by the necessary calculation and analysis. Work with suppliers to specify and select any required mechanical component.
- Complete the detailed layouts for the compressor packages.
- Perform the design work with designer(s) as necessary.
- Review and check the drawings completed by designers, and take the responsibility for the design.
- Design the compressor canopies and compressor skids.
- Understand the engineering economics and conduct the efficiency and cost and reliability analysis.
- Apply the theory of screw compressors and their systems and develop the experience and knowledge to support the compressor applications and production.
- Complete the Bill of Materials for compressor systems.
- Actively involve the product innovation team and communicate any necessary information from the end users for the purpose of the product innovation.
- Complete any mechanical engineering related tasks assigned by his or her supervisor.
- Perform follow- up tests in the laboratory.
- Assist the Quality Department in the field quality resolution process.
- Conduct some small design projects.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Company Conformance Statements
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Be at work on time every day and have the flexibility to work overtime as needed.
- Always work safely and report any unsafe conditions. We are all responsible for Safety!
Education And Experience:
- Bachelor or Master degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Must have 5-10 years of experience with compressors or a related field.
- Knowledge of thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, mechanics of materials, fabrication processes, sound and vibration principles, and sheet metal and structural.
- Knowledge and/or experience in compressors and their systems is a plus.
- Ability to use 3D CAD (Solid Works a plus)
Job Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
- Knowledge of product structures and costing methods.
- Must be creative, innovative, cost driven, have good hands-on practical mechanical skills and be able to work in a team environment.
- Team player
Mainly an office environment, with exposure to a plant environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The employee is occasionally required to sit for long periods and use a computer. Standing and walking about the facility are necessary. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.